Thursday, July 15, 2010

....and we're off!

It all starts with the supplies!
I am making many modifications to Alexander's bracelet, while keeping with the same basic idea. I have chosen to work with lots of bright colors, and a thicker gauge of wire for my frame. I think the thicker wire will prove easier, because it is stiffer and will be less likely to bend out of shape. The contrasting wires I'll use to do the woven frame will allow me to see my work better. I have decided to do several different weaves on the frame with several different colors. I also deviated from Alexander's vision by rounding the ends of the cuff. With the base wire being so thick, getting a nice square corner was near impossible, since I had already completed the weaving before shaping.
Shaping was a challenge because I don't have a bracelet mandrel to work with. So, I did the best I could using my arm. One thing I realized after I completed the frame, was that I failed to leave enough space between the two wires to be able to "sew" in the meandering design that is supposed to fill in that frame.

I am not willing to cover the woven frame with more wire. That would make the design look untidy. So, until I come up with a bright idea to fit within my own design requirements..... Let's see what the other girls have done! -Dawn Blair

1 comment: